Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Queen of Williamsburg.

Leonora Russo is a widower who has been living in the same rent controlled Williamsburg apartment for the past 60 years. Leonora is not only surviving in this youth oriented environment, she is thriving. She is known as "The Queen of Williamsburg" (though some call her "The Mayor") and is widely acclaimed for both her unique style and for her advocacy work for the People’s Firehouse.





A few Q & A's from some interviews that we found...


May I ask how old you are?
What’s that, honey? You’re gonna have to speak up. If you speak like you do in church, I won’t be able to talk to you.


No problem; I never go to church. How old are you?

Oh, you wanna know how old I am now? Isn’t that terrible! Why do you wanna know? What’s the age got to do with me?


Pretend I never asked. What are you up to?

Oh, I’m just sitting here. They call me the Queen of Williamsburg. They just recently made a documentary about me, matter fact.


Where are you from?

I was born and raised in Manhattan. I got married young and moved here.


What did you do?

Nothing! What do you get married for? To be a housewife. My husband was very prouda me. He didn’t want his wife working, people thinking he couldn’t afford to take care of me. He worked at Coca-Cola…[Sings] drinking rum and Coca-Cola.… Oh, I said enough already.


How do you keep from getting lonely?

I know everybody. When I sit on a bench, I’m never alone. Never.


Would you rather be the queen or the mayor?

Oh, I’m both. [Laughs]


Read more:
http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/public-eye/89564/leonora-russo-public-eye#ixzz12AypXBA8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers